Cleansing Winter Soup
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced (I used the gorgeous purple ones that are in season right now)
- 3 medium red beets
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth, warm
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chia & pumpkin seeds, walnut pieces, and 1 teaspoon coconut milk, to garnish
1) Place the unpeeled beets in a pot, cover with water. Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
2) Drain from water and set aside to cool.
● Heat the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the onions, carrots and fennel. Fry gently for about 2- 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and fenugreek seeds, and fennel. Fry for 5-7 minutes over low heat. Remove from the heat.
3) Peel the beets, cut into cubes, and add into the blender, together with the cooked vegetables, lemon juice, salt, and warm vegetable broth.
3) Process to obtain a smooth cream.
4) Season with salt and serve garnished with mixed seeds, and coconut milk
Note: If you have a Vitamix, you don’t need to heat the broth. Simply place all the cooked ingredients in the blender, and blend until desired temperature.