1. Prepare the beans: cover beans with cold water by a few inches. Stir in salt. Soak overnight, at least 12 hours. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Add rinsed beans to stock pot with onion, carrot, celery, garlic, rosemary, and bay leaf. Cover with water by several inches. Add pinch of salt. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cook until beans are tender (about 45 minutes), topping off the water as necessary.
3. When beans are tender, remove vegetables and aromatics with tongs, then drain beans and reserve cooking liquid.
4. Make the soup base: Heat oil in Dutch oven or stock pot, sauté onion, carrot, celery, and minced rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened, 10-15 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Add oil as necessary.
5. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
6. Add tomatoes, stir and cook until the liquid has cooked off, 5-7 minutes.
7. Add cooked beans, reserved bean cooking liquid, 4 cups water, and parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, drop to simmer, cook for at least 10 minutes and up to 2 hours before adding final ingredients.
8. When ready to serve, add dried pasta and green beans, stir and cook for 10-15 minutes, until both are tender.
9. Stir in chopped herbs just before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.