Clara's Krazy Tuna Poke Appetizers
- 12 ounces raw sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (preferably wild caught/sustainable)
- 3 ounces onion, red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon white or black sesame seeds, or a mix
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar or honey
- Slices or chunks of avocado
- Sprouts of any kind. We like the ones with the yellow head.
- Shredded toasted nori
- Steamed rice, white or brown (for a full meal.)
- Pinch of garlic/ginger; using microplane (optional)
- Two radishes thinly sliced
- One cucumber thinly sliced
- One endive
- Handful of Maui or tortilla chips
- Mixed baby greens (baby spinach, kale, arugula, etc)
- Dash of hot sauce or your choice. We prefer sambal. (Optional).
- Zest of lime/juice (optional)
- Marinated ginger
- Furikake or fukujinsuke (Japanese marinated radish)
- Macadamia nuts (unsalted) or other nuts
- Masago (fish roe)
In a bowl, add onion, scallions, sesame seeds, tamari/soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds, sugar, and hot sauce (optional). Stir. Give it a taste and adjust to your liking. Then add the tuna, avocado and mix gently.
Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or if you’re in a hurry, let it marinate for 5 minutes at room temperature. Top it with toasted nori, cucumber, radishes, and sprouts.
You can serve this as is or place a spoonful on endive, Maui chips, tortilla chips, or on a bed of greens.
For a full meal poke bowl:
In a serving bowl, place your choice of hot rice. Drizzle a tablespoon of sesame oil and a spoonful of the marinade. Top with mixed greens and poke, (leave out the poke if vegetarian) and top it with cucumber, radishes, avocado, and sprouts, and toppings of your choice.
Serve with a side of miso soup and sake.
Gochujang Sauce: This is an alternate sauce in addition or in place of the marinade. It can also be a dipping sauce for the poke tuna for extra flavor and kick.
1 tablespoon of Gochujang
1 teaspoon of tamari
1 tablespoon of vinegar
2 tablespoon of sugar; preferably organic
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page