Christopher Brugler's Challah Recipe
- 2-Tablespoon Instant Yeast
- 1 1/2-Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4-Cup Sugar
- 1/2-Cup Margarine
- 9 1/2-Cups Flour
- 2 1/4-Warm water
- 2 Eggs large
- 5 cups Ghirardelli white chocolate chips
- 1 Egg whipped with 2 tablespoons water for egg wash
Makes 4 loaves
1. Add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, margarine, egg and water to your kitchen aid mixing bowl.
2. With the dough hook mix on the lowest speed for 12 minutes until the dough is smooth.
3. Add your white chocolate chips and mix for another minute until the chips are mixed through out.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until the dough has doubled in size usually takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
5. Once the dough is ready, with your fist press the air out while it is still in the bowl.
6. Carefully collect the dough, separating it from the sides of the bowl.
7. Sprinkle your workspace with a little flour before working more with the dough.
8. Cut it into twelve even portions using the knife.
9. Take one portion of the dough and roll it into a 7-inch coil starting at the
10. Repeat with all twelve portions.
11. Lay three of the coils beside each other and join them together at one end.
12. Take one of the outside coils and place it into the middle. Take the other outside strand and place that one into the middle, making a braided knot. Make sure it is tight but not tight enough to stretch the dough.
13. Continue this braiding motion until you reach the end of the coils.
14. Crimp each of the ends and place it onto 2 baking trays. (this prevents the challah from burning)
15. Repeat three times for a total of 4 Challah loafs. Place them on a baking tray. Can fit 2 loaves per baking tray.
16. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until it doubles in size, or about 30 minutes.
17. Set the oven to 450F
18. Using the brush, coat the Challah with the egg wash.
19. Place the Challah in the oven and bake for 12 minutes and then rotate and cook for another 12 minutes.
20. Internal temperature should be 200 degrees.
21. Remove from the oven when deep golden brown.
22. Cool on a wire rack.