1. Season the roast liberally with salt and pepper and let sit on a rack uncovered in your refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
2. Start in a low oven about 250 or even less if possible depending on the size roast cook 3 to 6 hours, until it’s internal temperature is 130 remove from the oven and let roast rest for 30 min to an hour.
3. Once meat is rested turn oven as hot as it gets and place roast back in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes till crispy and golden brown on the outside. Slice and serve.
At least two (2) hours or overnight before you will need this Yorkshire Pudding batter, prepare the batter (minus pan drippings), and place in the refrigerator. Yorkshire Pudding is cooked after you have taken your cooked prime rib roast out of the oven and you are letting it sit for the required resting period.
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt; set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in the prepared flour/salt mixture just until incorporated and smooth. The batter will be like a very thin pancake batter.
3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least two (2) hours (for best results, refrigerate overnight).
Cooking Yorkshire Pudding:
Traditionally Yorkshire Pudding is made in one large dish or your meat roasting pan and cut into wedges. For individual servings, I have found it is much easier to prepare them in muffin tins or popover pans.
1. Pour the cooked prime rib meat drippings into your baking pan or muffin tins of choice. For a popover version, use popover pans or muffin pans, putting at least 1 teaspoon of meat drippings in the bottom of each well.
2. Place the pan or pans in your oven and get the drippings smoking hot (about 5 minutes). In a 450 degree oven. Carefully take the hot pan/pans out of the oven. The fat in the popover or muffin tins should be almost smoking.
3. Remove the prepared cold batter from the refrigerator. Whisk the batter thoroughly to break down any lumps and add some additional air.
4. Quickly pour the batter into the hot pan/pans on top of the hot drippings. *NOTE: If using popover or muffin pans, fill full. The fat should sizzle when you pour the batter. Work quickly, so you do not lose all the oven heat.
5. Put the pan back in oven and cook until puffed and dry, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking.
6. Remove from oven and serve hot with your Prime Rib Roast. Makes approximately 6 individual popovers (depending on size of pans) or 1 large pan.
Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce
1. Mix all wet ingredients in mixing bowl season with salt and pepper 1 tsp of lemon juice finish with chopped chives.