Healthy Holiday Pumpkin Mini Loaves
• 1 cup egg whites, raw • 1 ½ cups pumpkin, canned • ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened • ½ cup water • ¾ cup sugar, white • ½ cup Zsweet for baking (find this at Wholefoods) • 1 tsp baking soda • 1 tsp cinnamon, ground • ¼ tsp clove, ground • ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground • ¾ tsp salt • ¼ tsp baking powder • 1 ⅔ cup flour • 1 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 5 mini loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine first six ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine baking soda, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and flour.
- Pour liquid mixture with dry mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into mini loaf pans, filling pans half the way to allow room for bread to rise.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until you can poke a toothpick into center that comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack for 20 minutes, wrap loaves in colored plastic wrap and tie with a festive ribbon.
Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookie Balls Ingredients:
• 8 tablespoons butter, softened • ¼ cup low fat cream cheese softened (2 oz) (Philadelphia ⅓ less fat has all real ingredients) • 1 cup Zsweet • ⅛ teaspoon salt • 1 egg • 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract • 1 cup flour • 1 cup whole-wheat flour • 1-12 ounce package miniature semisweet chocolate chips • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (we realize that is refined sugar, and you can omit it if you wish) • 2 tablespoons soy milk (Silk organic, made without GMOs)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Mix until combined.
- Beat in egg and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Bet in flours.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 1½ inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until bottoms are golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine confectioners’ sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla in a bowl.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of soymilk at a time until icing reaches desired consistency.
- Dip each cookie into frosting presentation side head first into frosting.
- Lightly sprinkle with green and red sugar crystals for a more festive design.
- *Note, the frosting dries quickly.
Gingerbread Spiced Nuts Ingredients:
• 2 tbsp brown sugar • 2 tbsp molasses • ¼ cup egg whites • 1 tsp cinnamon • 2 tsp ginger • ⅛ tsp clove • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper • ½ tsp espresso powder • ½ tsp salt • 3 cups pistachios or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
- Spray parchment with cooking spray.
- Combine egg whites, molasses and brown sugar in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Combine cinnamon, ginger, clove, espresso powder and salt a small bowl and mix well.
- Add spice mixture to wet mixture and lightly whisk.
- Add nuts to gingerbread mixture and coat well.
- Spread evenly on to lined baking pan and bake for 10 minutes at 300.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Pack into small decorated jars tied with festive ribbon.
- I use old jelly jars or tea tins.
New Year’s Day Soup Ingredients:
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil • 8 cups water • 1 teaspoon oregano • 1 lb. lentils • 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth • 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes • 1 16 oz can tomato sauce • 1 large onion, diced • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Soak lentils for one hour, drain water.
- In a medium or large pot (6qt) place oil, oregano, onion, garlic, and simmer for five minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken broth and water.
- Bring to a boil for several minutes.
- Add lentils and cook one hour.
- Season with pepper and salt.
- Garnish with fresh oregano and a dab of Greek yogurt if desired.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at