- 1 pound dry white beans, rinsed and picked over
- 4 (14.5- ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock base
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1) Place the beans, chicken broth, chicken stock base, onions, oil, garlic, chiles, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook very slowly until the beans are done. Unsoaked beans take 2-3 hours to cook. You will need to make sure they do not get too dry- if the liquid gets low, add a little water or chicken broth. Test the beans periodically for doneness. They should be tender but not mushy.
2) Remove beans from heat. Stir in the cooked chicken. Top individual servings with sour cream and shredded cheese.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page