Chicken Kabobs with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, visible fat removed, cut into 1”x1” inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 1 garlic clove or ½ teaspoon from a jar, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (half of a lemon), or from a jar
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), cut into 1”x1” pieces
- 1 small red onion cut into 1”x1” pieces
- 2 cups mushrooms, cut into halves
- 8 wooden skewers
- Aluminum foil
- • 1 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- • 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or from jar
- • 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- • 1 teaspoon fresh dill, roughly chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- • 1/2 cucumber, diced small
- • 1/4 teaspoon honey
- • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Recipe copyright © 2014 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/recipes.
- Whisk together 2 teaspoons olive oil, oregano, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Add salmon or chicken and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- To make tzatziki sauce, stir together yogurt, lemon juice and zest, dill, oregano, cucumber, honey and pepper.
- Toss vegetables in remaining olive oil and assemble each skewer with 3 pieces of salmon, alternating between vegetables.
- Heat grill-pan or sauté pan. Over medium heat, add skewers to pan, cover loosely with foil. You may have to cook in two batches of 4 skewers. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of tzatziki sauce.
Safety Tips: If using wooden skewers be sure to soak the skewers in cold water for about 30 minutes prior to grilling to make sure they don’t burn.
Get the Kids Involved: Assembling skewers and making tzatziki sauce are safe and fun steps to involve kids in the cooking process. Cook Once, Eat Twice: Double the chicken and use the left-overs to make Zippy Southwest Chicken Fajita Salad.
Per serving: Calories 222 Total Fat 7.5 g Saturated Fat 1.5 g Trans Fat 0.0 g Cholesterol 73 mg Sodium 156 mg Carbohydrates 7 g Dietary Fiber 1 g Total Sugars 5 g Protein 31g
Learn more about how you and your family can live a healthy lifestyle by visiting Devin Alexander at DevinAlexander.com.
And get more heart healthy recipes from the American Heart Association at heart.org/recipes!