Chicken Curry with Crispy Rice and Shirazi Salad
- One small chicken or hen
- One medium onion
- One pound of mushrooms, cut into thick slices
- Salt and pepper
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of Curry Powder
- 1/4 cup Half & Half
- 4 cups long grain Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 TBS salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 TSB Saffron
- 3 bunches of fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 bunches of parsley chopped
- 3 bunches of chives chopped
- 2 bunches Dill chopped
- 1 bunch Fenugreek
- 2 fresh green garlic
- 2-3 small Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber, unpeeled
- ¼ medium red onion
- 2 T seeded green pepper
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 3 T fresh parsley, cilantro or mint (chopped)
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 T fresh lime or lemon juice
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅓ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp lime or lemon zest zest
Directions for Iranian Curry
1. Fry the onions, then add your desired amount of salt, pepper and turmeric.
2. Add the curry powder when the onion is turning yellow and let it fry with the onion.
3. Add the whole washed skinless chicken to the pot when the onion turns yellow, then toss
the chicken a couple of times to make sure it is thoroughly fried and looks golden.
4. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water when the chicken and the onions are fried golden.
5. Let the chicken cook for 30 minutes.
6. Fry the cut mushrooms in a separate pan and add them to the chicken. Let it cook for
another 30 minutes.
7. Add 1/4 cup of Half & Half to the pot, 10 minutes before serving.
Directions for Rice
1. Boil water in a large pot. Add 2 TSP of salt. And 4 cups of rinsed rice
2. Set stove on mid high heat. Don't let it over boil...When rice is just hard in the middle and soft on the outside (Al-dente rice), turn off burner and rinse the rice in a colander.
3. Turn off the burner and Pour the content using the colander and then rinse the rice briefly under cold water so that the rice stops cooking.
4. Mix in all the herbs, and garlic with rice.
5. Add 1⁄2 cup oil and a stick of butter, half TSP of Saffron in the pot and mix.
6. Divide the mixture in to half in a separate bowl and put aside, the pot has to be Teflon to
make Tahdig (crust).
7. In the remaining mixture, pile the mixture of rice and herbs, with the end of wooden
spoon, create three holes in the body of the rice, cover the lid, and reduce heat to medium
for 10 minutes.
8. Carefully uncover and wrap it in a large kitchen towel.
9. Allow cooking time of 40 to 60 minutes depending on the stove.
10. Carefully flip over the pot of rice on a large platter, and serve.
Directions for Salad
1. Chop the cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion into small pieces.
2. Slice green pepper very thin. (remove seeds first)
3. Add the herb(s)
4. Combine olive oil, juice, zest, salt & pepper
5. Toss to coat vegetables. Don’t over mix
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page