Chef Stuart O’Keeffe's Irish Beef and Guinness Stew
- 3lb beef brisket, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups Guinness Stout
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon blackcurrant jelly
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- In a large dutch oven, bring the canola oil to a medium heat, brown off all the meat, set aside.
- Add onions and sauté for 7 minutes, until they are beginning to brown. Add flour here. Stir.
- Add Guinness along with the carrots, celery, bay leaves, garlic, blackcurrant jelly, stock and tomato paste.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in preheated oven for 1.5 hours or until the meat gets very tender.
Chef Stuart O’Keeffe's Corned Beef And Cabbage
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 10 small red potatoes
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3 inch-pieces
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges
- Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
- Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
- Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.
Chef Stuart O’Keefe’s Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 5 cups brown wheat flour
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda, sifted
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk and using your hand start in the center and in a circular motion work from the center out towards the edge of the bowl until everything is incorporated. The dough should be soft and not too wet.
- Wash your hands and turn out onto a floured surface and roll the dough around gently to bring it all together. Flatten to 2 inch thickness.
- Sprinkle four onto a baking sheet. Place on top of baking sheet.
- Cut a deep cross in the loaf and pinch the four corners to tighten up everything.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 450°F and then lower oven to 400°F and bake for a further 20-25 minutes.
- On the last 5 minutes of baking turn loaf upside down.
- The loaf should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Chef Stuart O’Keeffe’s Irish Sangria
- 1 bottles of Pinot Grigio
- 2oz Midori liquor
- 1 green apple, sliced
- 1 cucumbers, use vegetable peeler to create thin spears
- a good handful mint leaves
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Club Soda
- Place all ingredients in a large pitcher except the club soda and cucumber and let sit for 2 hours in the fridge for flavors to develop.
- Place ice in a tall Collins glass with a cucumber spear slice.
- Pour sangria ¾ way up the glass and top off with soda water.
- Garnish with extra mint leaves.