Chef Luigi Diotaiuti's Panzerotti di Maria Recipe
Italian Cooking Primer Panzerotti are usually shaped like crescents, but can be round like the ones in this recipe. Pastry cream and chocolate are other typical sweet fillings. Savory versions are made with fillings containing ingredients similar to those used in pizza. Ingredients:
For the dough:
• 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
• 1 whole egg • ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature • 2 tablespoons sugar • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast For the filling:
• 5 ounces frozen peeled chestnuts, thawed or fresh, peeled
• ¼ cup honey • ¼ cup ricotta • ¼ cup cocoa powder • 1 tablespoon vanilla • Zest of 1 orange • 1 ounce heavy cream • Canola oil, for frying Recipe:
- Combine flour, egg, butter, sugar, and yeast in large mixing bowl. Mix until a dough is formed. Cover, and let rest for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To make the filling, combine the chestnuts with 3 cups water and sugar and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for approximately 10-20 minutes, or until chestnuts are cooked through. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine chestnut mixture and honey, ricotta, cocoa powder, vanilla, orange zest, and cream in a food processor and pulse until you have a uniform, creamy consistency.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and place on a floured surface. With a floured rolling pin, carefully roll out the dough until it is approximately 1/16th of an inch in thickness.
- Using a glass, or a pastry cutter, cut 3-inch circles out of the dough. Top each circle with 1½ teaspoons of filling and place another circle of dough on top. Press down around the edges with fingers to seal tightly.
- Fill a large, heavy bottom saucepan with 2 inches of oil over medium high heat. Heat oil to 350F degrees and slowly add a few panzerotti at a time, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry for approximately 4 minutes, turning a few times, until panzerotti are golden. With a large slotted spoon or wire strainer, remove from oil and place on a platter lined with paper towels.
- Move to serving platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Get your copy of Chef Luigi Diotaiuti's new cookbook, "The Al Tiramisu Restaurant Cookbook," at altiramisu.com.