- 4½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups basil leaves - packed full – wash and dry
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (split and scraped)
- 8 egg yolks – large
Makes: 12 Servings
- In a pot, add milk, basil, 1 cup of sugar, and the vanilla bean.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer. Once at a simmer, take off heat and cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add 8 egg yolks and remaining sugar. Whisk well until mixture becomes thick and pale.
- Add basil milk mixture slowly in a stream to the egg mixture, beating until combined well.
- Pour basil mixture into a new saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats back of spoon. (Do not let boil).
- Immediately remove from heat and pour through a strainer into an ice bath to stop the cooking and cool completely.
- Once cold, follow the manufacturer's directions.
- Serve ice cream in a hollowed out heirloom tomato or with gazpacho garnish with a basil leaf.
For more with chef Chris Brugler, please visit
cbcatering.com and follow him on Twitter
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at