- ¼ qt Carrots, finely diced
- ¼ qt Celery, finely diced
- ½ qt Yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ c Garlic, minced
- ¼ tbs chili flakes
- ½ lb Salt cod, diced small
- ¼ lb Butter
- ½ c All purpose flour
- .75 g Heavy cream (can split milk/cream if desired)
- ½ qts Russet potato, diced small
- 1 container Chopped clam meat (strain and reserve liquid for cooking)
- ½ container Clam juice
- 1 Lemon zested
- .75 cup Lemon juice
- ¼ lb Slab Bacon for garnish
- Crusty Sourdough Bread Bowls
- First, melt the butter and sweat the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, salt cod, and chili flake in a large pot.
- Add flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then, add clam juice from can and reserved clam juice strained from meat. (Do not add clam meat.)
- Add cream, lemon zest, and juice.
- Cook for 25 minutes on medium heat.
- Then, add potatoes and cook till tender (about 20 minutes).
- Adjust seasoning if needed with salt and lemon juice.
- Add in clam meat.
- Braise slab bacon or thick cut bacon and cut into pieces (Around 2 inch squares)
- Braising: Cook bacon at 450 degrees until the tops of the bacon are browned.
- Place 3 squares of bacon in the sour dough bread bowl and fill the bowl (not quite to the top of the bacon squares) with soup.
Follow Brooke on Twitter
@chefbrookew and check out her restaurant at
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at
pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter
Facebook. Plus, check out our
YouTube channel for backstage videos.