Chef Brooke Williamson Cooks Salted Cod Clam Chowder with Braised Bacon
- ¼ qt Carrots, finely diced
- ¼ qt Celery, finely diced
- ½ qt Yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ c Garlic, minced
- ¼ tbs chili flakes
- ½ lb Salt cod, diced small
- ¼ lb Butter
- ½ c All purpose flour
- .75 g Heavy cream (can split milk/cream if desired)
- ½ qts Russet potato, diced small
- 1 container Chopped clam meat (strain and reserve liquid for cooking)
- ½ container Clam juice
- 1 Lemon zested
- .75 cup Lemon juice
- ¼ lb Slab Bacon for garnish
- Crusty Sourdough Bread Bowls
- First, melt the butter and sweat the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, salt cod, and chili flake in a large pot.
- Add flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then, add clam juice from can and reserved clam juice strained from meat. (Do not add clam meat.)
- Add cream, lemon zest, and juice.
- Cook for 25 minutes on medium heat.
- Then, add potatoes and cook till tender (about 20 minutes).
- Adjust seasoning if needed with salt and lemon juice.
- Add in clam meat.
- Braise slab bacon or thick cut bacon and cut into pieces (Around 2 inch squares)
- Braising: Cook bacon at 450 degrees until the tops of the bacon are browned.
- Place 3 squares of bacon in the sour dough bread bowl and fill the bowl (not quite to the top of the bacon squares) with soup.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.