Chef Alexander Weiss Asparagus Ravioli
• 2 cups flour
• 3 eggs • Salt • Olive oil • Water as needed • Egg yolks
• 1 ½ llbs asparagus, trimmed, blanched, pureed • 1 ¼ cups whole milk ricotta, drained overnight in cheese cloth • ⅓ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano • ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg • 1 bunch mint, chopped • Salt and pepper
Sauce Ingredients (for one portion):
• 2 tbsp butter • A squeeze of lemon • 1 tbsp minced shallot • 5 sage leaves, chiffonaded • Pinch of nutmeg • Salt and pepper *garnish* fried sage leaves:
*render 5-6 slices of bacon until crispy. fry the sage leaves in this and season. Crumble bacon, and use as dust for the top of the ravioli) sliced of parmigiano reggiano.
- (if using mixer-put flour mixture into mixer bowl, make a well, add in the eggs and beat in with a fork. then transfer to the mixer attached with the dough hook and beat on medium speed for about 7 minutes)
- Dump the flour onto a board with the salt and mix it lightly with your fingers. Make a well in the center and add in the eggs, and about a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Using a fork, slowly beat the eggs without breaking the well. Then slowly incorporate the flour until the mixture won’t spill out onto the table. using your hands, bring the dough together. Knead the dough for about 7-8 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. *tip*: If the dough is too dry when you begin to knead it, add in a bit of water. Cut whatever kind of pasta you wish. (roll pasta through machine until second or third to last setting)
- Fold all ingredients together. Transfer to piping bag and chill until ready to fill ravioli.
- To assemble: Cut large rounds out of the pasta, the top slightly larger that the bottom round. Pipe filling onto pasta round in a circle a bit away from the edge leaving a well for the egg yoke. In salted boiling water, place in the raviolis in two at a time. Poach for about 2 ½ minutes. Meanwhile- have your sauce in process.
- In a hot pan, place in the butter, shallots, lemon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter, then add in the sage.
- Brown the butter slightly and place in the cooked ravioli. Roll around in sauce and plate.
- Garnish with fried sage, and long slices of parmigiano reggiano.
Asparagus Salad Ingredients:
• ½ pound asparagus, bottoms cut off
• Olive oil oil • Salt and pepper • A big bunch of baby arugula
• ½ tsp dijon • ½ lemon, juiced • 3-4 tbsp olive oil • Salt and pepper Asparagus Salad & Vinagrette Recipe:
- Roast the asparagus in the oven at 400 degrees with some olive oil, s+p.
- Don't let them shrivel up, about 7-8 minutes. (slightly undercook them)
- slice at an angle once cooled and toss with vinaigrette. *vinaigrette: mix all ingredients except oil. slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly.
Season 4 of " MasterChef" premieres June 30 at 8/7c on FOX.
The "MasterChef" cruise sets sail from November 8-15. Follow Alexander on Twitter @alexandermcjusa.