Catfish Tacos with Malted Kale Slaw
- ½ medium white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 TBS fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin, preferably freshly ground
- 4 catfish fillets, total about 1 ½ pounds
- Vegetable or olive oil for brushing or spritzing
- 2 or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- A small bowlful of lime wedges for serving
- Fresh avocados, for serving
- 12 fresh, warm corn tortillas
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple-cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups mixed shredded kale and red cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 TBS diced red onion
- 2 TBS sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 TBS hemp seeds
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb tomatillos, husked, rinsed, quartered
- ½ medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 serrano chile, seeds removed if desired, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves with tender stems
- Kosher salt
Directions for Tacos
In a food processor or blender, combine ¼ of the onion, the garlic, lime juice, cumin and ½ teaspoon salt. Process to a smooth puree. Place the fish fillets in a non-aluminum baking dish. Using a spoon, smear the marinade over both sides of the fish. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
Heat a gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal fire and let it burn just until the coals are covered with gray ash.
Remove the fish from the marinade and gently shake off the excess. Oil the fish well on both sides, and lay it on the grill. Grill, turning once, until lightly browned and almost flaking, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes per side.
Break the fish into large pieces and sprinkle with cilantro and lime juice.
Directions for Slaw
1) In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, mustard, and apple-cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
2) In another bowl, combine kale, cabbage, carrot, cilantro, and red onion with sunflower, pumpkin, and hemp seeds.
3) Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with dressing, and toss to coat.
Directions for Pico de Gallo
In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and green onion. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
Directions for Salsa
Purée all ingredients in a blender, adding water as needed, until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page