Cat Cora's Greek Tuna Tataki Sliced in Lettuce "Gyros" with Sumac Onions & Avocado Tzatziki
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced dried orange zest
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- ½ pound very fresh, sushi-grade ahi tuna
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil, for searing
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- On a shallow plate, mix sesame seeds, minced dried orange zest, and cracked black pepper. Season the tuna with salt.
- Make ½-inch deep slices in the tuna, every ¼ to ½-inch or so to make it easier to slice at the end. Roll the tuna in the sesame mixture, pressing lightly so the mixture sticks to the tuna.
- Place a saute pan over high heat. Add the oil and sear the tuna on all sides, about 30 seconds per side. Remove the tuna from the pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with lime juice. Pour the lime juice over the tuna. Let it rest and slice for gyros.
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium white onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly toss the onions with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt.
- Let stand until the onions are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- Rinse and drain well.
- In a serving bowl, toss the onions with the parsley and sumac.
Makes 2½ cups
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups plain yogurt (or low-fat)
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and grated cucumber (about 1 medium cucumber)
- 1 whole peeled avocado, diced small
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt to the yogurt.
- Add grated cucumber and diced avocado and mix well.
- Chill for at least one hour.
- 1 head of butter leaf lettuce, leaves separate
- 1 head of radicchio, leaves separate
- On lukewarm serving plates, layer a butter leaf leaf with a radicchio leaf and flake a generous amount of fish into each one.
- Spoon on a dollop of the tzatziki and garnish with the sumac onions.
- Serve immediately.
For more with Cat Cora, visit catcora.com.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.