Cannellini Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 ear corn
- 1 shishito or anaheim chile pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pita rounds, halved
- 6 romaine leaves
- Prepare salad ingredients place beans in a colander, rinse with cold water, and let drain.
- Pour drained beans into a large salad bowl. Remove husk from corn, then pull away and discard silks. Stand corncob upright on a work surface. Cut along side of cob to remove kernels, rotating cob after each cut until all kernels are removed. (you should have about ¾ cup kernels.) Add to salad bowl.
- Cut pepper in half and remove the stem, seeds, and ribs. Finely dice the pepper and add to salad bowl.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and add to bowl. Finely chop onion. (you should have about 1/3 cup.) Add to bowl.
- Add cilantro and salt to bowl. Toss salad gently to mix. Set aside.
- Mix vinaigrette finely mince garlic clove. Place minced garlic in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and black pepper. Shake until well mixed.
- . Toss salad and fill pita pockets pour vinaigrette over bean mixture and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place 1 romaine leaf in each pita half; spoon salad mixture evenly into each pocket.
Why is this a good back to school recipe?
This is a great recipe because you don’t need to use a knife. Everything is really simple to do and if you’re a kid like us it’s a meal you can prepare yourself and your parents can oversee. Even to add the herbs you just have to pick them off the stem. @twinchefs
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.