Maria Canals-Barrera's Camarones Enchilados
- 2 lbs of shrimp (peeled and de-veined, I also take off the tail. It gets in the way of the eating.)
- ½ cup oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves (these are called teeth, dientes in Spanish)
- 1 large green pepper
- ½ cup parsley (one little bunch [this is a direct translation, honest])
- 1 can of tomato sauce (I assume this to be 8 oz.)
- 1 can of pimentos (not spicy and not fire roasted)
- ½ cup of tomato ketchup (this is the secret to this dish, trust me!)
- ½ cup dry white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- 1 large stockpot
- food processor
- Peel and devein the shrimp, remove tails if desired.
- Fry them in hot oil; when they are pink add the minced onion, garlic, and chopped green pepper (I recommend the food processor for this) and let it all simmer for a little while together.
- Add the well-chopped parsley, the chopped pimentos with the water that is in the can (again I recommend the food processor), the tomato sauce, the ketchup, bay leaf, cooking wine, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and the hot sauce.
- Let this simmer over a low flame for 25 to 30 minutes.
Follow Maria on Twitter @maria_cb.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.