Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large carrot, peeled, chopped -- small dice
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped --small dice
- ½ white onion, chopped - small dice
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, thoroughly rinsed, & chopped – small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled and coarsely chopped, florets cut into smaller pieces
- 5-6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Zest & juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- loaf crusty French bread or Italian bread
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Heat the oil and butter in Dutch oven pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, onion, carrot and celery. Reduce heat to medium-low, and sauté, stirring frequently, until translucent and very tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic & broccoli & sauté together lightly.
Stir in the stock and heavy cream, add salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high, cook for 4 minutes
Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (if using a blender, make sure soup is not too hot; remove middle part of lid and cover with towel to avoid splattering).
Add cheese and heat until melted. Add lemon zest and lemon juice, and adjust seasoning.
Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese. Serve with piece of crusty bread.