Directions for Pork Ribs
1. Dry the ribs well, sprinkle all over with salt. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot until shimmering. In 2 batches, place the ribs in the pot, and brown well. Remove to a platter when browned.
2. Add onions and apples and cook, stirring frequently, until they just start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add black pepper and rosemary, stir until fragrant. Add shallot and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add mustard, stir and saute for 2 minutes more.
3. Move oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Return ribs to the pot and add enough beer so that the liquid comes halfway up the sides of the ribs. Bring to a simmer, then cover, put in the oven, and cook until the ribs are very tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the ribs from the pan, cover loosely with foil, and set aside. Continue to reduce the liquid if it is too thin, then adjust seasoning.
4. Top each rib with several tablespoons of sauce, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Directions for Roasted Turnips
1. Heat oven to 325˚
2. Toss turnips and apples with shallot, rosemary, butter, and olive oil in roasting tray. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast turnips and apples until tender, about 45 minutes.