Bourbon Cake with Chocolate Mascarpone and Mint Julep with Whipped Cream
- Flour Sifter
- Mint Leaves for each dollop of cream on cakes
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle in a sifter
- Maple Pecan Granola (homemade or Bare Naked makes a great one)
- Small bag of whole pecans
- Cookie sheet with a lip around the edge
- Parchment paper to cover the bottom
- Preheat oven to 350
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted bitter sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 3/4 cup Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- Combine the dry ingredients together and whisk together. Set aside.
- Small bowl
- 1” stainless steel scoop
- 8 oz container of Mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla
- Wooden spoon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves and stems
- 4 Tbsp of water
- 1/4 powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract
Directions for the Cake
1) Combine the dry ingredients together and whisk together. Set aside.
2) In a measuring cup, add 1/4 cup of coffee and 3/4 cup of Woodford Reserve Bourbon. If you want a little less bourbon flavor, just increase the coffee amount to 1/2 cup and the bourbon to 1/2 cup. Set aside.
3) Cream the brown sugar, butter at room temperature and canola oil on medium in a Kitchen Aid Mixer. It should be light and fluffy. Add sour cream and mix well for a few seconds. Melt 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Add that to the whipped mixture. Then add one egg at a time while on low speed.
4) While the mixer is on low, add a scoop of the dry mixture alternating with a little of the bourbon mixture. Continue this until all of the dry ingredients and the bourbon coffee mixture is incorporated.
5) On your lipped cookie sheet, place a piece of parchment paper that extends past the edges of the cookie sheet. Pour batter onto the parchment paper and smooth into an even layer with a spatula. Make sure to pull the batter to the corners.
6) Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool for the next step.
Directions for Mascarpone
1) Combine dry ingredients in a bowl with vanilla.
2) Set aside.
3) Whip the mascarpone cheese in a Kitchen Aid Mixer or small bowl with beaters.
4) Add cream and whip 15 seconds to incorporate.
5) Add dry ingredients and whip together until blended together. Set Aside.
Directions for Mint Julep Whipped Cream
1) To make concentrated syrup: Over Medium heat in a sauce pan bring the water, sugar, and mint leaves to a boil. Press the mint leaves with a wooden spoon a few times to release the oils. Remove from heat and let it steep for 10-15 min. Let it cool and strain out the mint springs. Set aside to completely cool.
2) Beat 1 cup of heavy cream with powdered sugar, mint syrup and almond extract until you have peaks. Set Aside.
To Assemble Sandwiches
When cake cookie sheet has cooled, take your desired cookie cutter and get as many hearts as you can. I like to alternate columns of right side up hearts and then the next column make upside down hearts. This maximizes your cake to make the most sandwiches. Once all are pressed, get your platter and carefully start lifting the cake pieces and transferring them to the platter.
Take the 1” stainless steel scoop and add chocolate mascarpone cheese filling. Assemble another cake heart on the top.
Then, put a 1/4 of powdered sugar in a sifter and dust the platter. This hides any imperfections and adds an elegance to your presentation.
Dollop the whipped cream on top of each sandwich. Garnish with a whole pecan and then a mint leaf so it rests on the pecan. Sprinkle the whole platter cakes with pecan granola. Enjoy.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page