Boiled Basmati Rice with Green Peas and Whole Spices
- 2 cups (basmati) rice washed
- 4 to 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ stick of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional if available)
- 1 black cardamom (optional, if available)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups peas
1. Boil rice in an uncovered pot with salt, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and the whole black cardamom for 7-10 minutes, until partially done.
2. Reduce heat, test for partial doneness by pressing a few grains of rice between your fingers, it should be slightly tender at the ends and still have some firmness in the middle as you press on the grain.
3. Drain rice and transfer it back to the pot, return the pot to the stove and set it on low heat.
4. Fold in the oil and the peas, cover and continue steaming on a very low flame for about 10-12 minutes until done.
5. Turn off heat; keep rice covered until ready to serve.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
Check out the Home & Family Pinterest Page