- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 and 1/2 package unflavored gelatin (4 tsp.)
- 4 cups bird seed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Drinking straws
- Thin string or twine
1) Spray silicon mold with cooking spray.
2) On the stovetop over medium heat, whisk gelatin and water until dissolved. Whisk in corn syrup and mix well. Pour gelatin mixture into a large bowl.
Add 4 cups birdseed to gelatin mixture. Stir to coat all of the seed.
3) Using a small spoon, spoon birdseed mixture into your mold.
PRO TIP: Spray your finger tips with cooking spray and press firmly down on mixture so it is well packed in the mold.
4) Cut your drinking straw into 2 inch pieces and stick one piece into each birdseed mold, pushing all the way to the bottom and creating a whole. Leave straw in place while it sets.
5) Place in refrigerator (or freezer if you’re impatient like me), until it sets. It will be hard to the touch when it's sets.
6) It usually takes about 1/2 hour in the fridge.
Remove from mold onto baking sheet, carefully. Let dry for a couple of days (turning over occasionally). Tie on a bow of decorative string for hanging.
7) An easy way to get the string through the hardened birdseed mold is to remove the straw, thread the string through the straw and stick the straw (string inside), back through the whole until you can grasp it on the other end.