Bill Engvall Cooks Chicken Fried Steak and Mashed New Potatoes
Chicken Fried Steak
- 1 tenderized round steak, cut into serving size pieces
- 1 cup flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (optional)**
- First, tenderize the steak by hammering it.
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Place in paper or ziploc bag.
- If using egg, beat and add to milk in a shallow bowl.
- Put meat in bag with flour and shake to coat.
- Take out and dip into milk on both sides.
- Return to flour and shake to coat again.
- Fry in skillet with ¼-½ inch of heated oil until browned, turning to brown both sides evenly.
TIP: Using the egg will create a thicker batter. Omit the egg if you prefer a thinner batter.
Bill's Mashed New Potatoes
- 2 pounds new potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- ½ unsalted butter, cut into pads
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Boil new potatoes until a fork inserted in them tells you they are soft.
- Place in large bowl and add butter, milk, salt, white pepper and sometimes some sour cream.
- Mash with an old-fashioned potato masher until somewhat smooth. (They won't ever really be smooth because of the skin and there will always be some potato lumps as well, but not too big.)
- If they are too dry, add more milk or butter!
- 1½ pounds green beans, trimmed
- 4 ounces fatback
- Salt and pepper to taste (or other seasoning)
- Snap (or cut) the ends off the beans.
- Place in large saucepan with water, a big hunk of fatback and salt/pepper or other seasoning to taste.
- Bring to a boil and cover.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.