Beet Salad with Beet Vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, chopped and toasted
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large beets, peeled and julienned, with 1⁄4 cup trimmings (leftover after julienne) reserved to make the vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup Beet Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup reserved beet trimmings
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Prep for Salad1. Chop and toast the pistachios
2. Julienne the beets and reserve the tops
3. Make the beet vinaigrette
4. Rinse and dry the watercress
Directions for Salad
1. Preheat the oven to 325oF. Spread the pistachios on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with the sugar and kosher salt. Toast for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Set the baking sheet aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, use a spoon or tongs to toss the beets with the pistachios and vinaigrette. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
3. Add the greens and toss the salad again to coat the greens in the dressing.
4. Spread a layer of mascarpone cheese in the center of two salad plates.
5. Top with the beet salad.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page