Barbecue Crawfish Shortcake & Black Pepper Buttermilk Biscuits
Serve 4 entrees
- 2 tablespoons grade seed oil
- 1 pound Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 3 tablespoons French’s Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup St. Arnold’s beer
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To taste Creole seasoning
- To taste salt
- 4 ea. buttermilk biscuits (see recipe)
- as needed St. Arnolds beer aioli (see recipe)
- 4 ea crawfish bodies
- 4 ea lemon (halved)
- 4 ea rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
St Arnold's beer Aioli
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons St. Arnold’s beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar cane vinegar
- To taste salt pepper
Black Pepper Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2-2 ½ cups buttermilk (cold)
- 1 lb unsalted butter (cold)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Barbecue Crawfish Recipe
- For Aioli, blend all ingredients well until free of lumps and set aside for garnish.
- Lightly toss the crawfish with half the seasoning.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium high heat; add the oil and crawfish to the pan and sauté until heated through.
- Remove crawfish and add another tablespoon of oil. Add garlic and toast being careful not to burn. Once toasted deglaze pan with beer, Worcestershire, hot sauce and lemon juice.
- Reduce liquid by half, reduce heat to medium, and add heavy cream. Place crawfish back into pan and stir in butter a pad at a time until sauce consistency is achieved.
- Adjust seasoning and serve over buttermilk biscuits.
- For garnish, insert rosemary into ½ lemon pieces and place on dish. Drizzle St. Arnold’s aioli over entire dish. Top with chives and crawfish body.
Black Pepper Buttermilk Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Small dice the butter. Using your hands, work the butter into the flour.
- Add the buttermilk in intervals and do not over mix.
- Place dough on a floured surface and layer one inch thick.
- With a cutter dusted with flour, cut out biscuits and place in a baking tin.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown
Visit Brennan's of Houston at: brennanshouston.com