Banana Blueberry Cake
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 medium ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (you will not taste this) This is in place of butter.
- 3/4 cup no sugar added apple sauce
- 1/2 cup wild blueberries, chopped (use fresh, or frozen berries thawed and drained, wild are naturally sweeter)
- 4 eggs, beaten well
- ***You can also use flax meal instead of eggs if you have an egg allergy: 1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp of water (mix and let sit 10 min) = 1 egg
- 1(8 ounce) package of reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
Mix everything in a large mixing bowl and pour into lightly greased baking pans. (You can grease with coconut oil) Bake at 350 for 50 min to 1 hour until knife comes out clean. I used 2-6" rounds (pour 2/3 full) and I even had enough mixture left for a few muffins to sample.
*Tip- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature, coconut oil has a low melting point, it is a liquid at 77 degrees. You can use it at room temp (it will be a soft solid) but if you mix it with other ingredients that are cold, it will form clumps in your batter. If this happens, just microwave your mixture for a few seconds to melt the coconut oil.
*Flax meal and coconut oil are rich in good fats and contain zero cholesterol! I bake all the time with coconut oil in place of butter and use a few scoops of flax meal whenever I make fruit smoothies for an extra boost of "Ommm" omega fatty acids 3,6, and 9.
Directions for Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting
Combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth. While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a couple of times while you continue whipping until the cream can hold a stiff peak.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page