Directions for the Tart
1. Line chocolate tart shells onto a parchment line sheet tray.
2. Using a 2.5 oz (blue scoop) scoop raspberry glace, placing flat side down onto tart shell. Continue to scoop.
3. Place tarts in the freezer for at least 1 hour. Can pre-scoop tart shells 24-48 hours in advance.
4. Remove from freezer. Using a piping bag, pipe meringue from the base of the tart shell to the tip of the glace. In a swirl pattern moving up. Just like a soft served ice cream.
5. Repeat process and place in freezer for service.
6. Remove baked Alaska from freezer. Using a blowtorch, evenly toast meringue.
7. Place onto a 6” round plate, garnish with chocolate pearls and serve with chocolate sauce.
Directions for Meringue
1. In a bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a whip attachment, add egg whites and whip on medium speed.
2. While the meringue is whipping place the saucepan with the water and brown sugar on a
medium flame. When the sugar reaches 235 degrees F remove from heat.
3. When the whites begin to foam add in the cream of tartar and 1 tbsp. granulated sugar.
4. Continue to whip whites and add remaining granulated sugar – this will help the meringue
from “burning out.”
5. Hold the pot with the brown sugar syrup at an angle and gradually stream into the
whipping whites, being careful not to stream onto the whip attachment.
6. Once all the sugar is added, stop and scrape down.
7. Continue to whip on high speed for 3 minutes until meringue reaches 120 degrees F.
8. Transfer to piping bag fitted with #4 or medium round piping tip.
*****NOTE: USE MERINGUE IMMEDIATELY*****
Directions for Chocolate Sauce
1. Place chocolate in a large /extra large (8/13 qt.) mixing bowl, melt to 90 degrees F. Reserve.
2. Melt butter in a heavy metal saucepan over a moderate heat.
3. Pour melted butter over reserved chocolate. Do not stir, reserve.
4. Use the same saucepan as the butter and whisk together heavy cream, sugar and water.
5. Over a medium flame bring to a boil.
6. Remove from heat and pour hot cream mixture over chocolate and butter.
7. With a SMELL-FREE – hand held mixer “seed” sauce by placing wand of hand mixer in the center of the bowl.
8. While the machine is blending, use a rubber spatula to slowly work in cream and butter from sides, keep wand in center and incorporate, bring outside mixture to center creating a smooth sauce or “ganache”.
9. DO NOT AERATE! KEEP MIXER SUBMERGED! This will take 3 minutes.
10. With a rubber spatula, scrape down sides.
11. Add crème fraiche & espresso, from center with hand mixer pulse smooth.
12. Scrape again.
*****LABEL – DATE & REFRIGERATE*****