Directions for Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8" x 8" baking dish
2. Boil the elbow macaroni for 7 minutes or until al dente, drain and set aside
3. Cut the already cooked bacon into manageable pieces
4. Heat the milk in a saucepan until hot, but do not allow it to boil.
5. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking until combined
6. Gradually add the heated milk, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. You may need to add additional milk or water if it becomes too thick.
7. Add in the shredded cheese and mix until fully incorporated
8. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg and mix well
Directions for Mac N' Cheese
1. Start a layer of the cooked macaroni in the baking dish and ladle cheese sauce covering it completely.
2. Add a layer of bacon pieces, and then another layer of macaroni.
3. Add a few pieces of bacon on top (for visual appeal) of the last layer of pasta and then cover with the remaining cheese sauce.
4. Sprinkle the Italian bread crumbs on top of the finished mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
5. For the last 5 minutes turn on the broiler to add color to the top.