1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the flour and set aside.
* If making gluten free version, mix the flours together before sifting into separate bowl to combine.
3. Add egg whites, sugar, and vanilla to bowl of stand mixer.
4. Beat whites, sugar, and vanilla for 1 minute, until they have loosened up.
5. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat for 2-3 minutes. The egg whites should
begin to look slightly foamy and should lose the wet-mud sound that accompanied their
beating in the beginning phase.
6. Add the lemon juice and salt, and then increase the speed of your mixer to medium-high.
Beat for another 2-3 minutes, until the whites are white, very foamy, and increased twice in
7. Increase the speed of your mixer to high for a final whip. Watch carefully in this phase, it
could need as little as 1 minute and as many as 3 to complete the beating. Stop early and
check to make sure that the egg whites haven’t been over beaten. They should be soft, they
should fall back onto themselves when you lift the whisk, and they should be just below the
texture of soft serve ice cream. They should still be pourable from the bowl when you’ve
done it right.
8. Fold in the sifted flour and pour the mixture into a 10-inch tube pan.
9. Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, until it’s crowned above the ridge of your pan and is firm
to the touch on top.
10. Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan. Allow it to cool upside down. Slice
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page