Alex Thomopoulos' Watermelon Fruit Cake
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 pineapple
- 8 pints of mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries etc)
- 4 kiwi
- 1 cantaloupe
This is like a big puzzle. You your best judgement to best cut and shape fruit Peel and prep all fruit.
1. Cut watermelon in half. Remove the skin from each half so you have two flat half circles. Depending on the size of you watermelon horizontally cut each half circle into 3 inch slices.
2. Cut the top and bottom off pineapple. remove the outer skin. Slice pineapple horizontally into 1 inch rounds.remove core with a small biscuit cutter or pairing knife.
3. Repeat Step 2 with any other round fruit you have. (ie Cantaloupe, honeydew etc).
4. Place a piece of parchment paper on counter and trace a 8" round. Lay it on top of a cake stand. Trim parchment paper so you are left with the 8" circle cut out. Take a watermelon slice place in the circle. You might have to trim/ cut piece to make it fit in one perfect circle.
5. Place pineapple rounds on top of layer one.
6. Fill the hole in the core of the pineapple round with a round piece of mango or cantaloupe.
7. Place another piece of watermelon on top. Secure with 5-6 toothpicks around the edges of the watermelon. Repeat layering process until you have used all the watermelon.
8. With a long sharp knife shape the cake into an even cylinder.
9. With the slices of left over fruit, cut out shapes using cookie cutters. Decorate the cake accordingly using toothpicks to secure each piece.
Place berries on top and serve! Get more recipes from Alex at her blog www.against-thegrain.com.