Aida Mollenkamp's White Bean Poblano and Chicken Chili recipe
Total Time: 1 hour
Hands-On Time: 15 to 20 minutes
For the stew:2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (dark or white meat) Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper 4 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil 2 yellow onions, finely chopped 4 poblano peppers (sometimes labeled pasilla), trimmed, seeded, and roughly chopped 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped 4 teaspoons ground cumin 1 tablespoon dried oregano (ideally Mexican oregano) 4 cups (1 quart) low-sodium chicken broth 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered 4 cups cooked cannellini (aka white kidney) beans [or use 3 (15 oz) cans, rinsed] 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels Juice of 1 lime (optional)
Tortilla chips (optional) Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (optional) Roughly chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Trim excess fat from chicken then cut into 2-inch pieces. Spread chicken in a single layer and season all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. When wisps of smoke come off the surface of the oil, add one-third of the chicken pieces (in a single layer) and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes. (Do this carefully as the oil may sputter.) Remove to a plate and repeat twice more with 2 tablespoons of the oil and the remaining chicken. (If using a slow cooker, combine browned chicken with remaining ingredients and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low about 6 to 8 hours.)
3. When chicken is browned, return Dutch oven to stove, reduce heat to medium-low, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the onions, season with a pinch of salt, and stir to coat. Cook until onions are translucent then stir in chilies, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook until fragrant, just 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are knife tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the reserved chicken and any accumulated juices, beans, and corn, reduce heat to low, and cook at a low simmer until chicken is cooked through and liquid is slightly thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes more.
**Taste and add lime juice, as desired, to brighten flavor. Serve, topped with chips, cilantro, and sour Get more recipes from Aida Mollenkamp here: www.aidamollenkamp.com.