Directions for Blackberry Thume Shrub
1. Muddle the thyme by crushing the leaves with a wooden spoon in a large canning jar.
2. Mash the blackberries, and add to the measuring cup.
3. Add the sugar and mix well. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow fruits to expel juices.
4. Stir in vinegar. Cover and let steep in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, depending on your desired flavor profile. Strain out solids by lining a sieve with a double layer or cheesecloth, or use a nut bag (for making almond milk), and keep in a jar. Store in the fridge until ready to use. Blackberry shrub syrup keeps in the fridge for a month.
Sparkling Blackberry Shrub:
Add 1 oz blackberry shrub syrup to a serving glass filled with ice. Top with chilled sparkling water. Stir to combine. Enjoy immediately.
Directions for Pineapple Ginger Turmeric Shrub
1) Put ginger, turmeric and mint leaves in a clean wide mouthed jar. Bruise them with a wooden potato masher or pestle (if you have one; or use a wooden spoon) until very fragrant.
2) Add pineapple and enough vinegar to cover. Close jar tightly and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Push pineapple, mint, and ginger down so they're completely covered by vinegar and it can draw out their flavor. (It's also important to keep the fruit completely submerged to prevent undesirable bacteria or mold from growing on it.)
3) Replace lid with a piece of cheesecloth (so air can get in and help start fermentation) and securely attach with a rubber band or the jar ring. Leave at room temperature about 12 hours
4) Discard cheesecloth. Replace lid and ring, secure tightly, and repeat the shaking daily for 3 days, keeping at room temperature.
5) Pour mixture into a wide strainer set over a bowl. Discard mint, then return solids and liquid to jar. Shake well each day for 4 more days at room temperature.
6) Strain out solids over a bowl .Return liquid to jar, using a funnel. Add lime juice and sugar, cover, and shake until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the mint sprig
7) Chill 7 days for flavors to meld, giving the bottle a good shake every day to be sure sugar is dissolved. Discard mint. Use, or chill up to 4 months (shake before using). The shrub will get more syrupy with time.
Directions fro Apple Cinnamon Shrub
1) In a bowl, combine apples, sugar, and cinnamon and cloves; stir for about 5 minutes. Cover and chill for 2 days, stirring daily.
2) Stir and strain, reserving apples to snack on. In a sanitized canning jar, mix with vinegar, cover tightly, and store chilled for up to 1 month.
3) To serve, add ¼ cup shrub to 1 cup still or sparkling ice water, or mix with spirits, to taste.