Shirley Bovshow's Living Succulent Bouquets
Succulent bouquets cost at least $150. But Shirley’s DIY bouquet costs under $40, saving you over $110!
What materials are needed to wire a succulent and how do you do it?
• Succulent plants
• Floral stem wire in 20, 22 and 24 gauge • Floral tape • Wire cutters • Scissors • Decorative ribbon
- Remove soil from rootball and cut succulent away from it, keeping about 1/4-1/2 inch of stem.
- Insert a 20 or 22 gauge floral wire through the stem.
- Fold the top third of a second wire and place next to the stem, wrap the wire around itself and around the first wire.
- Secure by wrapping with green floral tape down the entire length of wire starting at the top.
- Stretch the floral tape to activate glue as you wrap around wire.
- If the succulent cutting is heavy, you can add a chopstick next to wire and wrap together with green floral tape.
- Repeat until all succulent cuttings are wrapped and wired and begin putting your design together.
Assembling a Bouquet
- Each time you add a succulent to bouquet, wrap stems together with green tape.
- Start with larger or heavier cuttings and insert smaller cuttings as filler or detail afterwards.
- Turn the arrangement in your hand as you add stems to see design from all angles.
- When finished assembling bouquet, wrap with decorative ribbon and hand-tie.
- Add details such as pearls, crystals, etc.
You can get more great gardening tips from Shirley at