Make Your Own Sunscreen with Sophie Uliano
Green Tea Sunscreen
- 1 tbsp. mango butter
- 1 tbsp. shea butter
- 1 tbsp. Macadamia oil
- 1 tbsp. jojoba oil
- 1 tsp. beeswax pellets
- ½ tsp. vitamin E oil
- 4 tbsp green tea*
- 4 tsp. zinc oxide powder
- 6 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 6 drops of vanilla essential oilMake the green tea by steeping a green tea bag in ½ cup of hot water (boil the water and leave it to cool for about 5 minutes before using) for 5 minutes.
- Steep the tea bag and move onto step 2 while it is steeping.
- Place the butters, oils, and beeswax in a small stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Allow the butters and waxes to completely melt and then remove from the heat. (Should only take a couple of minutes).
- Remove green tea bag.
- Add 1 tbsp. of warm green tea to oil mixture and whisk vigorously before adding the next. Repeat until all 4 tbsp. are added.
- Add the zinc oxide and whisk VIGOROUSLY to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Whisk in the essential oils.
- Pour into a sterilized jar. This recipe makes approximately 3 ounces of cream, so a 4-ounce dark glass jar would be ideal. If you haven't got a dark glass jar, just use any jar that you can find. As you can see from my photograph, I used a clear glass jar that I found in my bathroom cabinet. I just sterilized it in my dishwasher before using.Storage: Keep the cream in a cool, dark spot. It should last for up to a month, but if you want it to last for up to 3 months, keep it in the fridge. When it is refrigerated, it will obviously harden-up, so take it out a few hours prior to using. Texture: You can play with the texture by adding more green tea if it feels too thick. I made a couple of batches. If you want a thicker texture, you'll use less green tea, but if you want it more like a lotion, you'll use a couple of tablespoons more. SPF: This cream has an approximately SPF 20. Make sure you reapply at least every 2 hours because it is not waterproof.
Vitamin C Serum
- Water Soluble Vitamin C powder
- Aloe Vera gel
- Small Dropper bottleYou make this up just prior to using it, and make a fresh bottle every 2 or 3 days. You can buy products at local natural foods store or MountainRoseHerbs.com. Vitamin C Powder (water soluble) is available at MakingCosmetics.com! For more with eco and healthy beauty expert Sophie Uliano, visit GorgeouslyGreen.com and follow her on Twitter @SophieUliano.