Laura Nativo's DIY Doggie Sandbox
- sides: (4) 1x12x8' planks -- bevel ends to 45 degree angles
- ends: (2) 2x2x8' planks -- cut in half
- ends: (2) 1x3x8' planks -- cut in half
- (1) 1 ½" x 6' dowel
- (2) ¼" x 4" lag bolts
- (2) ¼" cut washers
- (4) ½" x 1 ½" screw eyes
- two yards weatherproof fabric
- (4) large grommets
- Bevel the Sides: We used a table saw to cut 45-degree angles on each end.
- Building the Hull: Using deck screws, attach the end pieces to the sides. Bevel the 2x4 to match the side pieces and create a seamless fit.
- Prepare the Masts: In each 2x4, drill a ¼" hole 1 ½" down from the top. At the other end, drill three ⅜" holes. Locate them 4, 15 ½, and 19 inches from the bottom.
- Raise the mast: After bolting the masts to the boat frame so they are straight, cut the dowel (if needed) to fit the distance between the tops of the masts.
- Secure the Benches: Space the bench boards about ½ inch apart and fasten with deck screws. Then insert one screw eye at each corner. Use the shaft of a screwdriver to tighten.
- Fill with sand.
- Set Sail: Spread the fabric over the closet rod and attach to screw eyes with rope.