Laura Nativo's Big Game Pet Trick
What do you need to do in order to achieve this trick?
- A Clicker
- Toys and Treats – for a reward.
- An empty and full can/bottle of your preferred drink.
- A towel/tug toy to wrap around the fridge handle.
What Are The Five Steps You Have To Teach The Dog?
- Desensitize to can/ bottle.
- Fetch the can/bottle.
- Open the fridge door by tugging.
- Close the fridge door.
- Distance-you have to send your dog to go get a soda.
Walking it out:
- Desensitize the can/bottle with the dog.
- Make sure the dog gets used to the can or bottle in its mouth.
- Make sure you give your dog a reward!
- After the dog is comfortable with the can or bottle start teaching the dog how to fetch it.
- Throw the can or bottle and have the dog fetch it.
- Always reward with a treat until the dog feels comfortable with the object.
The next step is tugging.
- Make sure the dog is comfortable tugging on a towel, or a braided towel because they will have to hold on to it in order to open the fridge door.
- Throw a treat near the fridge so you can start teaching the dog distance.
- The treat will lure them to fridge and then you call them back and give them another treat.
- Make sure to command the dog to "go get a soda’ every time you throw the treat for distance.
- When you are teaching the dog long distance your cue is "go get a soda" you want to run with the dog to the fridge and give a reward.
- Do this a few times with our dog.
- In order for the dog to open the fridge, tie the towel around the fridge handle and practice tugging with your dog on the fridge.
- Give your dog more treats when the fridge door opens, this way they know that they did some big.
- Once the fridge door opens point to the soda can or bottle and repeat the cue "go get a soda" and make sure treats are always given for each command.
- Finally after practicing multiple times your dog will be ready to "get you a soda" on cue.