Jamie Gottschall's DIY Bauble Beach Bags
- 1 straw beach bag any shape or size
- 1 can of spray paint (color of choice). I chose metalic gold.
- A variety of faux flowers, leaves, birds and a coordinating ribbon.
- On a dry, non-windy day outdoors, place your straw bag on a tarp, old blanket or sheet. Shake your can of spray paint well and begin spraying your bag (but do not spray the bottom). Sometimes I lift the bag by the handle and rotate it as i spray.
- Place it carefully down on the tarp or flat surface, allowing it to dry. The spray paint actually dries in minutes. Once dry, give it a second coat. You can decide whether or not to spray the handle too. Note: over time, the paint will take on a great vintage patina by becoming "chippy." Re-spray to refresh as needed.
- Next, heat up your glue gun.
- Remove flower heads and leaves from stems. Line up the rest of your supplies, ribbon, etc.
- You can decorate both sides, but I prefer to decorate only one side for two reasons. First, I don't like to overdo it -- less is always more. Second, it's easier to carry when the flowers are only on one side. It's irritating when the flowers are constantly brushing against your leg or body and it is also a risk of knocking off your appliques.
- Tip: there is no secret to applying the flowers and miscellaneous details other than to mix it up. Remember, variety is the spice of life so apply an array of flowers.
- Be generous when applying the hot glue and hold your flowers in place for a bit to ensure they stick. Place them close together and don't forget to add a few leaves. Add the remainder of your embellishments.
Make sure you keep up with Jamie Gottschall at jamiegottschall.blogspot.com.