Weekdays 10a/9c
  • Showtimes
Share
Don’t Play With Fire, Don’t Play With Lithium Batteries

Don’t Play With Fire, Don’t Play With Lithium Batteries

If ingested, lithium batteries can eat through the esophagus in 2 hours more than 3,500 incidents of lithium battery ingestion are reported to the us poison control center each year.

If you suspect that your child has swallowed a lithium battery, do not induce vomiting, just go straight to the ER. 62% of batteries ingested by children were obtained directly from a product, 30% were loose and 8% from battery packaging, so knowing where these batteries are in your house is the first step to preventing injury. Typical examples include: • Car remote controls or remote keys • Flameless candles • Children’s books and toys • Digital thermometers • Singing greeting cards • Christmas ornaments • Hearing aids • Watches • Cameras • Garage door openers • Cell phones • TV, VCR remote controls • Calculators • Flashing holiday jewelry • Flashing or singing holiday decorations • Booklights *We must treat lithium batteries like matches, medications or weapons: keep them out of children's reach! In case you or a member of you family ingests a lithium battery contact The National Battery Ingestion hotline at 202-625-3333. JJ Levenstein, MD FAAP, is a Board Certified Pediatrician. You can take parenting classes with instruction by Dr. Levenstein online by visiting www.momassembly.com. Also, find helpful parenting products at www.mdmoms.com.

The Latest DIY