1) If you were able to find blocks in a size you like, you are ready to go! If you need to cut down wood to size, do this now. If you do need to cut the wood, sand it down so you have smooth sides. I was able to find ones on Amazon that were the perfect size!
2) Using your acrylic paint, paint ALL sides of each block except one (that will be your “set down” side while your blocks are drying). You can use paper, wax paper, parchment paper, or newspaper to let the blocks dry without ruining your table.
3) Let the paint dry for about an hour before applying the paint on the non-painted side. If you need to do touch-ups, do that now as well and set aside to dry. You may even want to use two or three coats on each block. Up to you and how thick your paint is.
4) If you are doing the math on this, you will realize that we need a couple more numbers to allow you to do any combination of “days left” until the wedding. So we will be using 4 of the 2x2 blocks to make this happen. I found a “key” online to show you what you need to paint on each block. Take your paint pen and follow this key to paint all of the blocks with these letters. Notice that the “6” can be a “9” are interchangeable and can both be used by only making the one block. You will have an extra side that’s not painted with a number or symbol, so feel free to add your own flare to the extra side. Maybe a wedding ring? That’s what I’ll be doing! You can use number stickers if you don’t like your handwriting!
5) For your two larger blocks, use a pencil to write out the words “days until” on one block, and “Mr. & Mrs.”. You can keep playing until you like your writing the best, then lock it in by painting over your pencil lines with your paint pen. Again, if you don’t feel your writing is the best, you can use sticker letters.
Voila! Figure out your numbers until the big day, and enjoy changing them every day until it’s 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!