1) Make a sketch of your plan to give you a blueprint to follow for cutting chicken wire
2) Cut two sheets of chicken wire to create a bottom base and tree top
3) Wrap base around an upside down round table or just wrap into a round tube shape (chicken wire is sturdy enough to hold the shape)
4) Wrap 2nd tier around the base top and trim on an angle and fold into a cone shape
5) Use medium gauge baling wire to create twist ties and secure top to base
*NOTE: The cut edges of the chicken wire will serve as twist ties to secure the sides *NOTE: Your skeleton doesn’t have to be perfect. Your will be “skinning” it with rustic fabric and ornaments and won’t see the structure.
6) Fold your fabric in half lengthwise and cut into about 12 inch strips (mine were about 12 x 91”)
7) Thread ordinary knitting yard
8) Use an upside down table to create a “spine” to follow
9) Thread yard through fabric, tie knot after each gather and continue to top.
10) Repeat on each panel of fabric
11) Layer fabric strips vertically on chicken wire spine to create a bohemian whimsical shape
12) Choose feathers, ornaments and flowers to create a rustic ornamental look -Decorate with wild feathers, glitter flowers, bells and pine cones
13) String your favorite color of Christmas lights.
*NOTE: You can also make a small version for a child’s room; use softer colors and use as a night light
Check out more fun DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page