Cristina Crafts With DIY Paint Rollers
- Foam Paint Rollers
- Paint Pan
- Rubber bands
- Painter's Tape
- Exacto Knife
- Before we begin, I recommend always starting with a good roller. Foam rollers work best for our purposes. Polyester roller cages will leave behind fuzzies. If you do want to use a polyester roller cover, I recommend washing it by hand and drying it in the dryer before to reduce loose fuzzies.
- Also, use a paint tray for smaller jobs. Use a 5-gallon bucket with a bucket screen to load the roller for larger jobs.
- Use bold and contrasting colors for a statement choice!
Paint Roller Technique #1
Paint Roller and Yarn - This one has a fun, whimsical feel to it!
- Tie yarn around the roller nap, knotting off the yard at the edge.
- Vary the thickness of the yarn to vary the textured pattern.
- Don't over-saturate the roller with paint or you won't be able to see the pattern distinctly.
Paint Roller Technique #2
Paint Roller Cage with Rubber Bands and Painter's Tape - This gives an edgier look to a wall more like graffiti.
- There is no right pattern to this look. It's whatever you make of it.
- The rubber bands give a distinct line, whereas the painter's tape gives a softer line. The two of them together make for a beautiful texture.
Paint Roller Technique #3
Foam Cutouts with Exacto Knife - This one is perfect for your kids' room or a craft room. By cutting shapes into the foam roller or cutting out the negative space in the foam roller, you create a rolling stamp for any wall.
- You can use an Exacto Knife or a kitchen-paring knife. You can even use scissors to cut out patterns in your paint roller cage.
- This one takes the most patience, but is so rewarding when you are finished.
- You can cut out shapes or cut shapes in to the negative space.
- You can do zebra prints or geometric shapes. You can even do shapes of leaves or flowers! It's whatever your imagination holds!
Helpful Hints on Cleaning up Your Paint Roller Cages:
- Scraping excess paint from the roller before you wash it makes it easier to clean.
- Wash with warm water and laundry detergent until roller runs clean under the water.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.