Cabbage 101: Grow a Giant Cabbage with Shirley Bovshow
How do you grow a giant cabbage?
- Plant in full sun area that receives at least 6 hours of sun.
- Prepare your soil by adding compost and a fertilizer with lots of nitrogen such as organic blood meal.
- Set plants so that 1-2" of the main stem is buried.
- Space giant cabbage varieties approx. 36" apart for room to grow.
- You can also plant in large 18" to 24" container.
How often do you water and fertilize giant cabbage?
- Giant cabbage needs lots of water to gain size. Apply 1 to 2 inches of water per week.
- Fertilize cabbage at planting time and again when head starts to form, a few weeks later.
How do you know when cabbage is ready to harvest?
- Cabbage head will be very large with tight leaves around the head.
- Squeeze head. Leaves should not be loose.
- Cut away from stem.
- If you leave stem and roots in place, smaller cabbage heads will re-grow in few weeks.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.