Being Green in the Laundry Room with Sophie Uliano
You Need Three Ingredients for Homemade Detergent:
- 1 Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap is the BEST – it is organic, pure, contains no SLS (sodium laureth sulfate) or any other sulfates so it does not dry out the skin and is gentle on both skin and clothes.
- 1 box of Super Washing Soda
- 1 box of 20 Mule Team Borax or Bob’s Red Mill Baking
- Optional use of an essential oil like Lavender for fragrance
Instructions to make 1 Gallon of Homemade Detergent:
- Fill up a gallon container with half a gallon of cold water.
- Boil ¾ of water pour out in a bowl.
- Add ½ cup of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap.
- Add ½ cup of borax.
- Add ½ cup of super washing soda.
- Optional use essential oil for fragrance.
- Still all the powders and make sure there are no clumps.
- Use a funnel, pour into container.
How Much Does It Cost To Make?
A 150 fl oz detergent costs $17.99, you can make 2 gallons of homemade detergent for less than $20. HOW MUCH TO USE IN THE WASHER? I use ⅓ cup and you can use it in a the washer and find it’s important to mix the detergent before each use. I swish my container around so it doesn’t get too sudsy, and it works like a charm.
How Do You Make Your Own Dryer Sheets?
What You'll Need:
½ cup of vinegar
- 8 drops tea tree or other essential oil
- Sealable container
- Cotton cloths
- Start by cutting your cotton cloths into smaller sections. I used inexpensive dish towels from the dollar store, but old tee shirts or linens would work wonderfully too.
- Mix together the vinegar and essential oil in a small bowl. Vinegar is a natural softener, and the essential oil gives your clothes a gentle, natural scent.
- Pour the mixture over the cloths until they are dampened but not soaked.
- Keep in a securely closed container.
- To use, simply remove a sheet from the container, squeezing any excess liquid back into the jar, and toss into the dryer.
- To reduce static cling in clothes, reduce the heat temperature of your dryer. When clothes are dry, simply place the sheet back in the jar for use later.
How Can You Clean Your Washing Machine?
It’s so simple, use a spray bottle and vinegar and it is the safest and inexpensive way to clean your washing machine the green way.