10 Best Foods to Eat for Your Brain
1. Coconut oil is arguably the most effective preventive food for avoiding Alzheimer’s
Coconut oil has the ability to repair and rejuvenate the brain.
Scientist have learned that brains unable to metabolize glucose require a compound known as ketones to effectively function. Coconut oil is known to be the richest source of this special type of fat that is converted directly into ketones upon consuming it. I put coconut oil in shakes, salad dressing, and cook with it.
2. People whose diets contain daily omega 3s have been shown to have 26% less risk of having brain lesions that cause dementia compared with those who do not. You can get these fatty acids from fish, flax seeds, olive oil and a good quality omega 3 supplement.
3. Asparagus, leafy greens, kale, spinach, collard and mustard greens, these foods are high in folate and B9 which may help improve cognition and reduce depression. Folate is a B-vitamin that is naturally present in many foods.
4. Berries and cherries. These fruits contain anthocyanin that protects the brain from further damage caused by free radicals.
They also have anti-inflammatory properties and contain antioxidants and lots of vitamin C and E
5. Broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and kale contain folate and have cartenoids that lower homo-cysteine. (an amino acid linked with cognitive impairment).
6. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts and pecans, all of these nuts contain omega-3s and omega-6s, vitamin E, folate, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
7. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, These contain zinc, choline and vitamin E.
8. Cinnamon, sage, tumeric and cumin. These spices all help to break up brain plaque and reduce inflammation of the brain which can cause memory issues.
9. Whole grains, quinoa, kammut and gluten free oats have anti inflammatory properties.
10. Beans and legumes. These foods contain folate, iron, magnesium and potassium that can help with body function and neuron firing. It also contains choline, a B vitamin that boosts acetylcholine (Neuro transmitter critical for brain function.