Home & Family's Fall Harvest Cookbook
- 4 strips Smoked Bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 Large White Onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Toasted Caraway Seeds
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Weissbier
- ¼ cup Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 cup Sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Parsley, chopped
Directions for Sauerkraut
1) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chopped bacon until dark brown and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel to drain.
2) Add onions to pan and raise heat to high. Stir onions after 1 minute and add caraway seeds. continue to cook onions for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
3) Lower heat to medium-high and sprinkle flour over onions and stir to dissolve flour.
4) Add stock and beer, slowly add first and stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add mustard and sauerkraut. Bring to a simmer. Mixture will thicken. Simmer mixture for 15 minutes or until thickened up to an hour.
5) Top with crumbled bacon and fresh parsley.
Directions for Oktoberwurst
1) Grill your favorite bratwurst
2) Place it in a bun (we love Kings Hawaiian rolls, buttered and split).
3) Top with aioli (mix together some mayo and whole grain mustard).
4) Top with caramelized onions.
5) Top with chopped scallions.