Home & Family's Fall Harvest Cookbook
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (such as Medaglia d’Oro)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound baby carrots, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint
- Salt and pepper
Directions for Meatloaf
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place puffed rice in a large bowl. Pour the beef broth on top of it and mix well to break
apart the puffs.
3. Add the ground beef and mix well. Season. Form into a 7 x 4-inch loaf shape and place on a
baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn
the broiler to high.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and
espresso powder. Brush this over the meatloaf and return to the broiler. Check after 5
minutes. The crust of the meatloaf should be brown and sticky to the touch.
Directions for Spiced Carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the
carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with the cumin and coriander and stir.
3. Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice. Scrape the carrots into an 8-inch square baking dish
and cover with foil. Transfer to the oven and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven. Drain any water that remains. Sprinkle on the mint, season with
salt and pepper to taste, and serve.