Home & Family Holiday Recipes
- 4 cups medium-diced butternut squash or pumpkin, roasted
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- avocado or vegetable oil
- 1 pound mustard greens stemmed, leaves chopped (6 cups packed)
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach, stemmed, leaves chopped (9 cups packed)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups full-fat ricotta
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups grated Gruyere
- 2 cups grated Parmesan
- 9 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles, such as Barilla
- 4 ounces pesto
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a Dutch oven over medium heat, and allow to melt. Add the onions and sauté until tender, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and greens and spinach and sauté until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the poultry seasoning and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Add the cream cheese and milk to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the cream cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of the cayenne, and season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, 1 1/2 cups each of the Gruyere and Parmesan, and some salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then set aside.
5. Ladle 1/2 cup of the cream cheese sauce into a 9-by-13-inch flameproof baking dish, spreading with a spatula to cover the bottom. Add a single layer of noodles, and then layer with half of the remaining cream cheese sauce, half of the spinach mixture and half of the squash. Add a second layer of noodles, and then half of the ricotta mixture and all of the pesto. Add a third layer of noodles, followed by the remaining cream cheese sauce, spinach and squash. Add a fourth, and final, layer of noodles, and spread with the remaining ricotta mixture.
6. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and transfer to the oven. Bake until the noodles are soft and the cheese is hot and melty, 55 to 60 minutes.
7. Remove the baking dish from the oven and turn on the broiler. Remove the foil from the baking dish. Top the lasagna with the remaining grated Gruyere and Parmesan. Broil until golden brown and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.