“Bradley Sutton” Cowboy Steak Sandwiches
In A Country Wedding, Bradley and Sarah stop at the Milltown Family Diner for lunch. “We will have two Bradley Sutton Sandwiches,” says Sarah. This hearty grilled steak sandwich with white cheddar, onions, and horseradish mayo would be a hit on any menu.
Yield: 2 sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
¼ teaspoon garlic and pepper seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, cut length-wise into ¼-inch slices
¼ teaspoon each: kosher salt and black pepper
1 (1½-inch thick) boneless ribeye steak, room temperature
as needed, kosher salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 crusty sandwich rolls (sourdough, Kaiser or onion rolls), warm
1 cup spring mix salad greens
¼ cup white sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. To prepare horseradish mayonnaise: combine mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic pepper in small bowl and stir to blend. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
2. To prepare caramelized onions: heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions, salt and black pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions are wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions are golden and lightly caramelized.
3. Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot (about 5 minutes). Remove excess moisture on steak with paper towels; season steak generously with salt and black pepper. Add oil to hot skillet; heat until just beginning to smoke. Carefully add steak and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until a golden-brown crust forms. Turn steak over and cook an additional 2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium; add butter. Carefully tilt skillet slightly and spoon foamy butter over steak for 2 to 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. Transfer steak to a plate; cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steak against the grain.
5. To assemble sandwiches: Spread horseradish mayonnaise over cuts sides of rolls. Arrange lettuce on bottom halves of rolls; top each evenly with sliced steak, shredded Cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon caramelized onions. Close with top halves of rolls.
“Bradley Sutton” Cowboy Steak Sandwich
Bradley Sutton grew up in a small town but was still surprised to see his fame recognized in the form of a sandwich! Went he and Sarah went into town to taking care of his country wedding plans, they stopped at the Milltown Family Diner for lunch. “We will have two Bradley Sutton Sandwiches,” says Sarah, with a grin. Like the famous country western music star for whom the sandwich is named, this hearty grilled steak sandwich, with plenty of white Cheddar, caramelized onions, and horseradish mayo, is sure to be a big hit at your house, too.