Holiday Recipes - Desserts
- 4 cups + 2 tbsp. flour (not sifted)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups Crisco/shortening (can use butter instead or butter/shortening combination)
- 2 egg yolks
- 6-8 ounces ice water
- 10 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3-4 squares of butter
- 1/4-cup milk or egg whites
1) Peel and slice approx. 10 apples
2) Combine 4 cups flour, a pinch of salt and 2 tbsp. of sugar
3) Add in 2 cups of Crisco (or butter) and combine (mixtures should be lumpy, with pea sized pieces)
4) Make a well in the middle and place 2 egg yolks
5) Add 6 ounces ice water
6) Gently fold flour/crisco mixture into egg and then combine thoroughly without over handling.
7) Form combined dough into a ball and cover with wax or parchment paper.
8) Refrigerate overnight.
9) In a large bowl, combine apples with 2 tbsp. of flour, 1 tsp. of cinnamon and 1 cup of sugar. Mix until apples are thoroughly coated
10) Cut chilled dough into four even sections
11) On a dry, floured surface, roll out one section of dough starting from the middle and rolling out. If dough begins to stick, dust with flour. Try to keep dough thickness consistent without letting any section get too thin
12) Lift dough and transfer to your round pie dish. (You can use a rolling pin to help with the transport)
13) Cover the bottom of the dish with the crust, trimming extra and patching any holes that might have formed.
14) Place all apples in pie dish.
15) Place 3-4 squares of butter on top of apples.
16) Repeat dough rolling and place second piece on top of apples.
17) Trim extra dough from the edges, fold up and pinch closed. (Be careful not to have too much dough around your edge or it won't cook thoroughly.)
18) Poke a couple fork holes in the top, then brush the top of the pie with either milk or egg whites. (be careful not to let the liquid pool in the edges)
19) Place pie dish on a pan or cookie sheet and cook on 450 for 10-15 min. (until pretty brown)
20) Turn down over to 350 and cook for 50-60 min.
21) Remove pie dish from pan and place on a cooling rack until thoroughly cooled.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page